Monday, November 12, 2012

Snowy Days in November

We have around 6 inches of snow on the ground in our area of Spokane.  Hidden under all that snow is produce just waiting to be eaten!  These vegetables were for dinner last night.  The broccoli was frozen solid, but easy to wash up with water and cook for dinner.  My youngest son loved that the broccoli had icicles!

You will find broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, carrots, beets, and kale still in the garden under the snow.  I'm not sure what the broccoli, cauliflower, and turnips will look like once they thaw.  The other vegetables won't be affected by the freezing temperatures at all.  If I had been ahead on my to-do list, my low hoop tunnels would have been over these veggies before the snow flew.

A lonely head of broccoli

Beets hiding under a blanket of snow.  Can you see the raised area?

Kale holding off the snow
Just because the temperatures have dropped, the work still continues on our small farm.  It is time to cut down the tomato plants trellised in the greenhouse.  I will need to dig the carrots, beets, and turnips before the ground freezes solid.  In not so long I will be starting seedlings for early crops of spinach ready to harvest in March and we will do it all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment